Festive Arts & Crafts Activities to Try Out!
It’s the holiday season and we have to find ways in which to keep the kids busy and entertained with all the boredom-buster ways possible. One of the ways to keep kids occupied over the school holidays is by sparking their creative side and keeping their little hands busy with craft activities to help them relax and unwind.
How many adults are rainbow lovers? I still get excited when a rainbow appears in the sky and see my children jump with joy for the beautiful colors because rainbows are a source of inspiration. Here are some rainbow quotes to remember the next time you see one: “Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.”
“Oftentimes, the brightest rainbows follow the darkest rainstorms.
Try this easy and cost effective Paper Plate Rainbow craft for your kids to make at home, which is also good for their wellbeing and mental health.
Let’s get started:
- Cut a white paper plate in half
- Starting from the outside edge along the paper plate dimples, color a strip of red using a red broad tip marker pen roughly 1 cm wide going all the way around the edge of the paper plate. (You can also use Crayola crayons or Assorted Decorative craft paint.
- Next to the red color, in a yellow strip along the inside of the red strip going all the way around the paper plate, again roughly 1 cm wide.
- Repeat Step 3 next for each of the following colors: orange, blue, pink, purple and green.
- Once you have finished coloring the blue strip, cut away the remaining white space left on the paper plate. You should now be left with a cut out coloured in rainbow shape.
For the next steps, parents can assist their little ones to make it even more special and fun for everyone!
- Next, cut 2 rectangles strips roughly 1cm (W) X 20cm (H) from a sheet of red cellophane.
- Cut the same size rectangle strips from a sheet of yellow, pink, green, purple and blue cellophane.
- To make the orange cellophane strip, cut a strip of pink cellophane and a strip of yellow cellophane and stick them on top of each other using a glue stick (You can also use Bostik glitter glue for extra dazzles and sparkles). Leave to dry. Repeat this step to have 2 orange strips of cellophane.
- Glue each coloured strip of cellophane to the bottom of the rainbow by matching the same colors of the rainbow and sticking down the top of cellophane strips with a glue stick. Leave to dry.
- Place glue along the bottom of the rainbow on top of the cellophane strips. Stick a row of white large and medium sized pom poms along the bottom ends of the rainbow to make the clouds.
- Hole punch one hole at the top of the rainbow. Cut a piece of elastic roughly 15cm long and thread it through the hole. Loop the piece of elastic and tie securely with a double knot.
There you go, your own rainbow to hang in the living room or anywhere that you’d like to see beautiful colors around you!